The Metropolitan Mountaineering Society, also known as MMS or MetropolitanMS is a Manila (Philippine) based outdoor organization officially registered at the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a non-stock, non-profit organization. Though the organization started out in Metro Manila where majority of the members comes from; currently there are already members outside of the city and even the country. Wherever there are significant numbers of members located in a physical geography, an informal chapter arises like the MMS-US chapter to celebrate the long lasting bond that ties each member.
The organization was founded on March of 1994 at the summit of Mt. Makiling in Laguna. It was founded by what now is considered the eight founding members- Dennis Sacro, Ed Ocampo, Long Henson, Anne Sacro, Jeric Yaya, Joey Avila, Richard Kahulugan and Boying Amio.
We commit to develop ourselves in protecting the environment by promoting responsible mountaineering and other outdoor related activities.
Shaping people for nature.
- Educate people by conducting trainings, seminars, forums and conferences related to outdoor activities.
- Undertake social, civic and environmental projects.
- Advocate and be a role model of values and wilderness ethics.
- Foster friendship and camaraderie.
- Establish national and global presence through networking and coordination with other organizations.
- Generate funds and resources and acquire and sell properties.
- We the members of the Metropolitan Mountaineering Society protect and preserve nature.
- We share in that responsibility by engaging and promoting outdoor related activities and by actively practicing an environment friendly lifestyle.
- We the members of the Metropolitan Mountaineering Society abide by and uphold the MMS Constitution.
- We respect and follow our leaders, our culture and our traditions.
- We commit ourselves to the organization.
- We support its projects and activities.
- We the members of the Metropolitan Mountaineering Society value camaraderie.
- We respect each other and we complement our differences.
- We will always be responsible for each other at all times.
- We the members of the Metropolitan Mountaineering Society believe that we have a responsibility to ourselves.
- We practice and cultivate a healthy physical, mental and spiritual way of life.
- We continuously enrich ourselves with the skills related to our sports and the environment.
- And in all of these, we shall always remember that Once an MMS! Forever an MMS!
BASIC MOUNTAINEERING COURSE
MMS prides itself in developing a local basic mountaineering course curriculum designed specifically for the local setting. The course has been a product of 18 years of conducting and continuously refining the course as well as from getting inputs from various authorities on specific topics such as the Philippine Airforce Search and Rescue Group for the rappelling and SAR related topics, The Philippine National Red Cross for the Wilderness First Aid topics, The DENR for the NIPAS and environment related topics and the Leave No Trace curiculum for the LNT portion of the course. Most instructors have undergone these trainings before they have been adapted within MMS.
Activities includes the following:
Basic Life Support and First Aid
Land Navigation and Orienteering
Indoor and Outdoor Wall Climbing
Minor Training Climbs
Major Training Climbs
BE ONE OF US
For more questions and inquiries, please contact:
Karis Corpus: 09778101228
Khayie Aurea: 09175862254
Or join us on our Public FB Group: